Our History

In 1888 E.A. Bowman, who lived on Hemphill Street, some distance south of the southern city limits of Fort Worth, saw the children in the area playing games on Sunday mornings and thought their time would be better spent receiving some kind of religious instruction. On April 1, 1888, a group of fifty children and adults met in the schoolhouse located in the 1500 block of South Alston and organized a non-denominational Sunday School. The founders and most of the teachers were Presbyterians.

From these humble beginnings, College Avenue Presbyterian Church was established on December 15, 1897 from the College Avenue Mission located at 1515 College.

In 1928 the congregation, having outgrown the building, and with the public school next door looking for room to expand, the College Avenue site was sold and a lot was bought at the corner of Eighth Avenue and Myrtle Street. To go with the new location, the name was changed to Westminster Presbyterian Church. It would be some 20 years before the actual sanctuary was erected on Eighth Avenue. Commercial developement in the Eighth Avenue area and the growing need of a church in the Wedgwood community on Loop 820 precipitated another move in 1959.

And in 1977, the congregation voted to move to the present site at 7001 Trail Lake Dr.